Our Blog

What To Do If Medical Bills Are Too Much For An Insurance Policy

Thursday, September 19th, 2019
Blog Post Thumbnail Thumbnail

If you are injured in a car wreck, you need to focus on your medical care first. Once you are well enough to consider financial issues, you may wonder how to pay for all of the bills. If someone else was at fault for your injuries, you may also wonder WHO will pay for them.

What injuries and medical bills are common?

Car accidents can result in different types of injuries, from minor scrapes and burns to serious brain trauma and broken bones. Bills include everything from hospital stays to ambulance costs, surgeries, and rehabilitation.

If you aren’t taken to the hospital after you’ve been hurt in a car wreck, don’t let the potentially high costs deter you from visiting the doctor. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, it is best to go anyway. This is because injuries can take time to show themselves or be felt. Also, having clear medical records is vital when seeking compensation.

Who usually pays for medical bills?

Car accident injuries are usually not cheap, running between hundreds and thousands of dollars. Having to pay these amounts on your own adds to the stress of dealing with a car wreck. Depending on your insurance and that of the person who injured you (underinsured/uninsured motorist and liability), some of your bills may be covered. But, this is often not enough. Also, policies can be difficult to understand and insurance companies usually try to minimize the amount they pay.

Texas car accident laws

Car accident and insurance laws can vary depending upon your state. In Texas, a “fault” state, insurance companies can determine fault. This means that all drivers must carry a minimum amount of coverage. Also, there is a limit to how much compensation a car accident victim can get based on their percentage of fault.

There are also time limits for filing car accident lawsuits. You should make your claim as soon as possible after the car accident. This way, if a lawsuit is needed, you will have time. The statute of limitations in Texas is two years.

Filing a claim with the insurance company

You probably already know that you must contact your own insurance company after a car wreck. But, if the negligence of the other driver resulted in your injuries, you will have to talk to their insurance company as well. Filing a claim is the first step in getting compensation for your pain.

Personal injury claims can get you a variety of damages. This includes the following and more.

  • Lost wages
  • Loss of earning capacity
  • Future medical bills
  • Current medical bills
  • Pain and suffering from permanent injury

When filing a claim, there are some things you need to keep in mind. This includes what to do after an accident, how to speak with the insurance company, and what happens if the claim is “too much” for the policy.

What to do after the wreck

  1. Seek medical attention. This is vital for both your health and your claim. This means you should go to the hospital or visit the doctor as soon as possible after the wreck.
  2. Get as much information as possible. If you are able, you will need to get the other driver’s insurance information. You will also need pictures of the scene and your injuries.
  3. Talk to the authorities. This is actually required by law in many states. The police will take a report of the accident and statements on how it happened. The paramedics will also make a record of what they have found, as well as take care of you.
  4. Get witness statements. If anyone saw the accident and they are available, ask them for statements. This will help validate your claim.
  5. Contact a personal injury attorney. You should do this if you need advice, if the other driver’s insurance has contacted you, or if you plan on filing a claim/lawsuit.

What to say to the other driver’s insurance company

You are not required to speak with the other driver’s insurance company. But, they will try to contact you. If they ask for a statement, do not give them one. They will try to give you a lesser amount based on what you say. This means you should avoid speaking with the insurance company until you have an attorney. They will be able to give the adjuster the information they need while protecting your interests.

What happens if the claim is too much for the policy?

Sometimes a claim will be too much for an insurance policy to cover. Although adjusters will deny claims for many reasons, this is a different type of issue. But, that doesn’t mean you need to give up on getting the compensation you deserve.

It may be necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit. Your attorney can help you with this as well as the initial claim. They understand how to handle difficult issues with insurance companies. Also, they will be able to manage all of the details of the claim or lawsuit, letting you focus on healing.

Do you need a Texas personal injury attorney?

If you are looking for the help of an experienced car accident attorney who will focus on getting you what you deserve, contact Attorney Dean Boyd today. He and his Team will work hard to make sure your claim or lawsuit goes as smoothly and successfully as possible.

Give us a call at (806) 242-3333 or Send Us an email to learn more about our Services. We have offices where you can visit with us in person at 4423 SW 45th Ave in Amarillo, Texas or 10623 Quaker Ave #102 in Lubbock, Texas.

*The content on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice. Viewing this information does not establish/constitute an attorney-client relationship with the law firm of Attorney Dean Boyd.