New Year’s Eve is statistically the most dangerous driving day of the year. In 2020, 93 people lost their lives due to drunk driving accidents during the holiday season on Texas roadways. There were also 2,462 DUI-alcohol-related traffic crashes in that same time. It is estimated that 40% of all wrecks that occur during the holidays are drunk driver-related. If you are one of the thousands of people hit by a drunk driver this holiday season, here are some things to consider.
What Do I Do After My Drunk Driving Wreck?
- Call the police immediately and remain at the scene until they arrive. This is one of the most crucial parts of a drunk driving case.
- Take photos and videos of the damaged vehicles, the scene of the wreck, and any visible injuries. Drunk drivers tend to flee the scene of an accident, so be sure to take photos of their car and license plate.
- Get the names and contact information of the drunk driver and any passengers in the other car.
- Gather any information you can from any witnesses of the wreck. Ask for their name and phone number and save that information on your phone.
- Seek medical attention if you haven’t already. Because of the adrenalin from the wreck, you might not feel some symptoms until up to 48 hours after the wreck
- Contact a personal injury attorney as soon as you can after the wreck.
- Do not speak to any insurance company or give a recorded statement without speaking to an attorney.
- Do not sign anything without speaking to an attorney.
- Keep all photos and recounts of the wreck off social media. Don’t talk about it on Facebook or tweet photos of the wreck for any reason.
Contact a Personal Injury Attorney As Soon As You Can
Getting in a car wreck is one of, if not the most stressful thing that can happen to you. It’s compounded even more when you factor in dealing with a drunk driver. Having to worry about things like your injuries, getting to and from work without a vehicle, and who’s paying for things like your medical care, any lost wages, getting your car fixed can be extremely overwhelming for you. At Attorney Dean Boyd’s office, we do the work for you to make this scary situation as manageable as possible. The consultation is 100% free and you don’t pay a dime unless we collect on your behalf. If you’ve been hit by a drunk driver, give us a call today and let us go to work for you!