Our Blog

Handling Insurance Company Issues With Car Accidents In 3 Steps

Wednesday, February 10th, 2016

When car accidents happen, there can be significant personal and property injury involved. People may have to go to the hospital. Sometimes it can be very serious. Your vehicle may need to be repaired or, in some cases, totaled out completed. Knowing what to do if your insurance company has an issue with your accident is very important. Know your policy, file the proper claims, and hire a car accident lawyer if necessary.

Know your insurance policy

Cheap insurance might be cheap for a reason. If you have purchased car insurance based on the cost alone, you might be in for a big surprise once you need to use your policy. Some car insurance policies exclude any claim that happens if you were doing anything for work at the time of the car accident. Other insurance policies will only honor a claim if the person driving the vehicle was an insured person. Often times, the language is confusing and you aren’t as covered as you think you are.

Make sure you know what your policy covers and make sure you are covered for any situation that arises. Understanding your policy will help avoid any insurance surprises from a car accident.

File the proper claim after a car accident

After filing a claim for a car accident, you can often wait long periods of time before you talk to a representative. You may even wait a long time for an adjuster to come out and take a look at the damage to your vehicle. Waiting for all these steps can cost you time and money. While your car is waiting to be seen by an adjuster, you might not be able to get to work. The auto body shop will not release the car until they have been paid. Make sure to do your part and file all the necessary paperwork on time and follow up with phone calls. Staying on top of the car insurance company is one way to make sure your claim gets paid.

Hire a car accident lawyer

Sometimes you simply cannot get your claim paid even after reading through your policy. If you have filed the correct paperwork and waited for customer service representatives and claims adjuster and still cannot get your claim paid, it may be time to hire a lawyer.

A car accident lawyer can read through your policy and know if your claim should be paid. Then, if necessary, this lawyer can file the proper paperwork in court to get your claim paid.

If you have been in a car accident and cannot get your claim paid, call Attorney Dean Boyd to set up a free consultation. We are available by phone at (806) 242-3333 or Contact Us by email. You can also stop by our law office at 4423 SW 45th Ave, in Amarillo, Texas or 10623 Quaker Ave #102 in Lubbock, Texas.

*The content on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice. Viewing this information does not establish/constitute an attorney-client relationship with the law firm of Attorney Dean Boyd.